“Producing World-Class Raw Milk”
- Speakers: Mark McAfee and Sarah Smith of RAWMI, and local herdshare community members
- Sponsored by: The Raw Milk Institute (RAWMI) and the BC Herdshare Association
- Date: Sunday, September 8, 2019
- Time: 12 noon to 4 p.m. Registration available at the door.
- Place: Parksville Community Centre, 132 Jensen Ave E, Parksville, BC, in the Arbutus/Garry Oak Rooms
- Cost: No charge, but donations welcome to help cover room rental cost. (RAWMI is a registered charity in the U.S., and donations are tax-deductible against US income.)
There are two types of raw milk. Raw milk produced for the processor is different from clean safe milk produced by best practices for people to consume fresh.
You’re invited to a gathering hosted by the Raw Milk Institute (RAWMI), a non-profit dedicated to educating dairy farmers in the safe production of raw milk.
We will discuss Grass-to-Glass optimization of raw milk production, which results in low-risk, safe raw milk which benefits both the consumers and the farmers. These recent developments in HACCP-based “best practices” help prevent foodborne disease outbreaks. Clean milk doesn’t need to be pasteurized.
The Raw Milk Institute (RAWMI) has trained hundreds of raw milk farmers in the United States and Canada. The training is FREE for the farmers, and has been shown to reduce outbreaks and illnesses, increase safety, and lower insurance costs. RAWMI training means that raw milk can be safely legalized in Canada without increasing outbreak rates.
Topics to be covered:
- The current legal status of raw milk in BC
- The history of RAWMI and its community and benefits
- The achievements of RAWMI and our work with the BC Herdshare Association
- Risk Analysis and Management Planning (RAMP)
- The risks from grass to glass
- The science of biofilms and pathogens
- Udder hygiene procedures, before and after milking
- Equipment and where risks are found inside of systems
- Cleaning and sanitizing equipment
- Farm biosecurity planning
- How to build a RAMP plan
- Learning from others crises: Review of past recalls and real life case studies
- Raw milk benefits and teaching methods for consumers
- How to build and protect a raw milk brand
- Liability protection
- Discussions and answer all questions
Participants can register at the door, but we need to know approximate numbers, so if you are planning to attend, please email email@example.com with your name; town; whether you are a farmer or consumer; and if you are a farmer, what types of dairy livestock you are milking.
- Follow this link to read more about RAWMI’s training and educational programs.
- Download a brochure detailing the Benefits of RAWMI LISTING here.