Are you looking for educational materials to provide to your MLA, MP, your doctor, family members, or friends? Are you lobbying for the legalization of raw milk? The following PDF documents can be downloaded and emailed or printed. If you would like to see what lobbying BCHA has done so far, all actions are recorded in our advocacy log.
General Information About Raw Milk:
- Basic Facts about Raw Milk (PDF)
- Health Benefits of Raw Milk (PDF) – challenging the myth that raw milk has no health benefits.
- Letter to Medical Professionals about Raw Milk (PDF)
Raw Milk Safety – Evidence:
- “Raw Milk Producers with High Levels of Hygiene and Safety” (PDF) by Dr. C. Berge and Dr. Ton Baars in the Journal of Epidemiology and Infection, Jan 31, 2020.
- Poster: “Producing Hygienic Raw Milk: Standards, Testing, and Farmer Education” by J. Whitehead, B. Lake, M. Coleman, and N. Azzolina. Presentation at the International Milk Genomics Consortium (IMGC) 2019 symposium in Aarhus, Denmark, November 12-14.
- Recent Trends in Unpasteurized Fluid Milk Outbreaks, Legalization, and Consumption in the U.S.” (PDF) by Whitehead and Lake (2018) – peer-reviewed scientific evidence showing that legalization does not lead to increased outbreak rates Original article on Public Library of Science (PLOS). See also this six page summary (PDF).
- Two Types of Raw Milk: Laboratory Evidence From Culture-Based Tests (PDF) – a comparison of milk sample test results from the BC Fresh Milk Project with conventionally-produced milk, showing that RAWMI training keeps milk clean. See the BC Fresh Milk Project site and the original page.
- Two Types of Raw Milk: Laboratory Evidence From PCR-Based Tests (PDF) – a comparison of milk sample test results from a RAWMI-Listed farm with conventionally-produced milk, showing that RAWMI training keeps milk clean.
- Two Types of Raw Milk: Milk Filter Evidence (PDF) – photographic evidence of the difference between a RAWMI-trained dairy and a conventional dairy
- Test Results from RAWMI-Listed Farms (PDF) – Coliform and standard plate count test results from RAWMI listed farmers, compared with standards for pasteurized milk.
Raw Milk Safety – Practical Resources for Farmers:
- RAWMI Common Standards (PDF) – voluntary standards for safe raw milk production.
- “Raw Milk Risk Management” (PDF, 13MB). PDF of the PowerPoint presentation given at a Raw Milk Institute workshop co-hosted by the BC Herdshare Association and BC Goat Association in Parksville BC, September 2019.
- Risk Analysis and Management Plan (RAMP) form (.xls). Use this blank template to start creating your on-farm food safety plans. See RAWMI Common Standards and “How to Become a Listed Farmer” for more details.
Reforming Raw Milk Laws:
- Suggested Changes to the Public Health Act, Health Hazards Regulation (PDF). A first step toward the legalization of herdshares in British Columbia, an amendment which would allow the Minister of Agriculture to legalize and regulate raw milk for direct consumption in BC.
- Model “Artisan Dairy Herdshares Regulation” (PDF) : The second step toward the legalization of herdshares in British Columbia. Showing one way that raw milk could be safety legalized in B.C. under the Milk Industry Act. Addresses all the Ministry of Health’s requirements as stated by them in 2015, including training, certification, milk sample testing , and food safety plans.
- “Canada’s Other Illegal White Substance: Evidence, Economics and Raw Milk Policy” (PDF) by Ijaz (2014) – this article describes how herdshares can be legalized without sales being legalized.
- Legal Herdsharing Without Legal Raw Milk Sales (PDF)
- Maine’s Licensed Raw Milk Farms (PDF)
- Quebec Law Allowing the Sale of Raw Cheese (PDF) – despite a Federal ban. And a news article about it (PDF).
- Raw Milk and Federal Law (PDF) – if Quebec can legalize un-aged raw cheese, B.C. can legalize unpasteurized fluid milk, a product which the same Federal law says is illegal to sell.
Coming soon: The Nutritional Benefits of Raw Milk